BIRTHDAY: August 13, 1918 - May 28, 1981
Daughter of Walter Isaly and Henrietta Isaly
Mother of Ray Latham and Anne Latham Stiles

Grandmother of Heather Scott Linscheid, Jeremy Scott, Tom Latham, and Dan Latham

Great-grandmother of Nicole Linscheid and Luke Linscheid

From Anne Latham Stiles:

y mother, Betty Isaly Latham, was born in 1918 in Columbus, Ohio to Walter and Henrietta Isaly. In school she was a good student and very popular (according to her friends). She attended college at Ohio State University and majored in fine arts. She became a member of Delta Delta Delta sorority and maintained friendships with her "sisters" throughout her life. She was always a loyal friend. She loved playing bridge and had a regular "bridge club" with her friends. She also loved her family and would do anything for us.

She married Raymond Latham in 1944 and they moved to New Orleans and then Gainesville, Florida. Ray junior was born in 1945 in Florida. When mom was pregnant with me in 1949, she and Ray moved back to Columbus. Shortly after I was born, she got divorced. She tried making a living by painting photographs (they didn't have color photos back then). She went back to college to get a degree in education while I was in elementary school so that she could become a teacher. I remember that she graduated from college when I was in 5th grade and began teaching 6th grade when I was in 6th grade. We were in different schools. Later, when I met some of the kids that were in her class, they all said she was their best and kindest teacher. She loved teaching and would stay up late every night grading papers. She never complained.

Some of my fondest memories are during summer vacations. My mom, grandma, Ellen, me and sometimes Ray (when he wasn't off at camp) would travel by car to different locations. We went out west, to Niagara Falls, and to Maine during different summers. She and grandma loved stopping at antique stores and Ellen and I would endure them until we could get to the motel and swim.

Mom died after a one-year bout of lymphoma. She suffered through 3 different chemotherapy protocols, none of which were successful. She was only 62 and so full of love and life. We all miss her so much. She would have loved her great grandchildren immeasurably, just as she loved her grandchildren and children. I think of her often as I play with my grandchildren and see a little of her in each one of them - Nicole, Luke and Andrew.

From Ray Latham:

y Mother was born on August 13, 1918. She grew up in Upper Arlington, was a good student, graduated at the top of her class, and had many friends. She Graduated from OSU as a fine arts major, and was a Tri-Delta sorority member. She attended The Traphagan School of Design in New York City for two years and was a wonderful artist. She came back to Upper Arlington and was employed by The Union as a design artist for advertising for a time. She met my Father in 1944 and was married in New Orleans in September, 1944.

By 1950, she moved the family back to Upper Arlington and Anne was born. She needed to find a way to make a living, with a focus on being home for the children - Ray and Anne. She turned to her background in art, and began working for a local photographer painting photographs with oil paint. She worked hard, but realized it would be better to go back to school and get a teaching degree. She enrolled at OSU and for years, took the necessary classes to become a teacher. I can remember the school projects that she worked on over the years, while still painting pictures to bring in enough money to pay the bills. She eventually she got her teaching degree and both Ralph Ater and Walter Heischman, Superintendent of UA schools, made sure she got a position in the school system. She became a sixth grade teacher and was certainly one of the best. She influenced the lives of her students in a very positive way, and worked tirelessly to bring out the best in each one. She was a recipient of the prestigious 'Jennings Scholar' award and was voted 'Teacher of the Year'. She was one of the most requested teachers in the school system, I recall her being told by Mr. Heischman.

Mom was very close to her Mother, Grandma Isaly. They spoke on the phone every night - for hours. She was kind, unselfish and would do anything for the family. She made sure that Auntie, Elizabeth Abernethy, was well cared for and visited her at Wesley Glen frequently. They spoke on the phone daily. Ellen was like another sister in our house. She was always welcome, and Mom made sure that she and Anne did all sorts of things together just as though she was Anne's sister.

When I think about my Mother, as I often do, I think of how incredibly strong and unselfish she was. She sacrificed much of her life to make sure Anne and I were properly cared for. I think of the effort she made to make sure I succeeded with my paper route, the Boy Scouts, my jobs and sports. Not many people would have done this in those days as a single parent. We had a great relationship and she put up with my electrical projects, and all sorts of other things, but she never had to discipline me. This month, I am exactly the same age that she was when she passed away-I think she lived a very full and productive life, having influenced so many people, yet it was way too short.

From Ellen Isaly Clark:

ecause Aunt Betty always lived so close to us - we all lived in Upper Arlington - I grew up spending a lot of time with her, Anne and Ray. She played a tremendous role in my life, especially in encouraging me to go into teaching. I often think of how proud and excited she would be to know how far Anne has gone with her career in nursing education!

Aunt Betty was the most devoted daughter to Gramma! Since Gramma never did learn to drive, Aunt Betty was her transportation until I was old enough to drive. We took wonderful trips all over the country together and traveled through Europe during the summer of 1964, after visiting the World's Fair in New York City.

When I began my teaching career, Aunt Betty was my mentor. She was a beloved and highly respected sixth grade teacher at Tremont Elementary School, here in UA. I will always be grateful to her for the encouragement and counsel she gave to me when I was enduring my first years of teaching, under an insensitive and cruel principal. I think she played an important role in helping me make the move to the UA Schools, where I became a sixth grade teacher at Barrington, the school I had attended as a child, although she denied any credit for that. What fun it was to go to district sixth grade teacher meetings with Aunt Betty! She shared many of her techniques and ideas with me, and I credit her with any success I had as an educator. Not to be trite, but she truly was the wind beneath my wings ... always modest and humble, always willing to help me and any other teacher who needed her.

When Aunt Betty developed lymphoma, I thought my world would end. She was my mother figure at that time, and I was excitedly expecting Billy. She died at the end of May,1981, just three months before Billy was born. Even as she lay in the hospital, terribly ill, she asked Anne to go to the maternity store and get me a pretty nightie to wear when I went to the hospital to have my baby. When I opened it, I remember she hugged me, touched my tummy, and said, "I just can't wait to see if we have a boy or a girl!" We both knew she would never make it to September to see our baby. Bill and I decided that if we had a girl, we would name her "Elizabeth Isaly Clark," in honor of Aunt Betty and. I wore that nightie after Billy was born and I still have it; you see, even in her worst days, she was thinking not of herself, but of others.

I miss her every day. She raised her two wonderful children as a single mother and did a fabulous job. Both Anne and Ray have been very successful in their professions and have wonderful children. She would be so proud!